Sunday, February 19, 2006

Snow, Birds and Crashes

It's been a mild winter again this year, but we did receive our first really measurable snow yesterday - four inches. It was the kind where the main roads are clear but the ground, the trees, rooftops are covered. Throughout the winter but especially during snows, I like to make sure there's plenty of seed out for the birds. I figure they have it pretty tough during cold weather, so I do what I can. This year, a large covey of mourning doves have taken residence in my yard and at times I've counted up to thirty birds. They are accompanied by a lively flock of finches, sparrows and other small fowl whose flittering movements make the doves seem like they're locked into slow motion.

I do have a bit of a problem with some of the smaller birds mistaking the picture window near their feeder as open air space. No one has gotten seriously hurt yet, but it may only be a matter of time. It's as if the birds realize a little too late that the tree they see is only a reflection, then they pull up just before impact, avoiding a fatal collision. Maybe I just need to put up a warning: "Danger. Not a Throughway." Well ... it's a good intention anyhow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment